Our 2017 Student Honors Recital will take place on Sunday, April 2 at 3:00 p.m. at First United Methodist Church in Waynesville. The rehearsal is scheduled for Saturday, April 1 from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. at the same location. The Haywood County Arts Council is sponsoring this wonderful recital.
For teachers new to our recital: This is a non-competitive music and poetry recital for students age nine through high school seniors. We have had performances in the past of harp, oboe, drums, violins, bluegrass music, and poetry. We have had vocal duets, solos, and instrumental ensembles. Whatever instruments you teach, consider entering your students as an encouragement and reward to them. Please have your students invite their friends and family, so we have the largest audience possible to encourage these young musicians!
The 2017 Honors Application and fees are due to the Haywood County Arts Council (P.O. Box 306, Waynesville, NC 28786) by March 3, 2017. All requirements are noted below:
- Participating students must be nine years old through high school senior.
- Each student must be selected by his/her music teacher, who may be a private teacher or a public/private school teacher.
- Students must live or attend school in Haywood or any county west of Haywood.
- Selections performed must be of level 3 difficulty or above.
- Any style music/poetry may be performed: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Popular, Folk, Jazz, etc. In addition to solos, we welcome duets and small ensembles. A student, teacher, or other adult may accompany or play duets with a performer.
- Attire—-fairly dressy.
- Registration is $10.00 per student.
- Soloists must memorize their music. (Exception: Instrumentalists)
- The deadline for returning applications will be March 3.
- Each teacher entering students will be responsible for supplying homemade cookies or finger food to serve his/her guests, plus a few extra. Refreshments will be served after the recital and piano committee members of the Arts Council will help decorate and serve.
- The mandatory Rehearsal this year will be on Saturday, April 1 from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
This program is a collaboration with the Haywood County School System, private schools, and home-school associations to enhance educational opportunities through visual and performing artists. Events have included Flamenco Vivo, Johnette Downing, the Atlanta Ballet, Michael Beadle, John and Kathy Sills, Seona McDowell, the African American Dance Ensemble, Shakespeare To Go, plus many others.
Art After Dark
“Art After Dark transforms Downtown Waynesville into an exquisite visual, culinary and performing arts center, the first Friday evening of each month from May until December. There are few destinations in the mountains where you’ll find such a wide breadth of talented artisans and craftspeople in a single location. All participating galleries are open from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m., offering meet & greets, featured shows, refreshments, and live music performed by local bands and musicians.
Art After Dark offers a relaxed atmosphere, filled with art, music and laughter.”
The 2015 Haywood Art Studio Tour includes 38 artists at 22 locations in central and north-central Haywood County, and will take place October 23 and 24 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
A wide range of artistic endeavors in all media and many expressions within each media category will be available for the public to experience. The tour will include 9 clay artists, 2 fiber artists, 9 wood artists, 3 jewelry artists, 2 glass artists, 7 two-dimensional artists working in watercolor, acrylic, oil, encaustic, and gold and silver leaf. Four mixed-media artists use a wide range of materials including wood, steel, leather, gourds, natural materials, paper, encaustic and clay. Two sculpture artists complete the roster making large scale steel sculptures and surrealistic construction incorporating found objects.
The 2015 Tour has been organized by a group of Haywood County artists to introduce visitors and county residents to the depth of creative talent alive in Haywood County in all media, and to benefit the artists in the county by adding another venue for artists to introduce their work to the public.
For more information, feel free to download the information sheet and brochure pages below.